Friday 30 December 2016

10 tips on how to host a panel: 5 Weeks until True Believers

So I've hosted over 20 panels/workshops in the past 6/7 years. I've hosted in front of 1 person in the audience to over so many I couldn't actually count and there was people left standing.

I've pretty much got my panels now down to an art. I look at the event theme, current trends and I research like crazy and prepare a power point even if it doesn't get used on the day.

1) Choosing the subject for your panel: ALWAYS go for something you have passion and knowledge for. If you lack in these areas you will struggle with nerves, selling it to the audience and if you get a question about it then you are going to struggle.

I would also always check the theme of the convention and make sure it's going to have the right audience you want. You wouldn't host a panel on Hello Kitty at a Dystopian Book themed event for example unless you can link it to the theme.

I will be hosting a panel about Disney at a Anime convention. I got round this talking about how Disney stole ideas from certain animes and how some animes were influenced by Disney. These are ways of mending the gaps between the two subjects to make it relatable at the event and it's something that I am passionate about.

2) RESEARCH & OWN IT: This one needed all the caps for this. I cannot stress this enough! I've been to panels where no thought or research been put into practice and even been in a group with no planning.

It will be obvious when you or if you are hosting in a group that no thought or ideas went into it. So be prepared for awkward silences or yourself/others in your group rambling about nothing. This once again if you haven't researched the subject and someone asks you a question about it, you might struggle.

I always recommend even if you are thrown in last minute solo or a group to throw down some bullet points you want to cover and bam through them.

3) Panel leavers: People will get up and leave at points. Not everyone but some, this could be due to well-needed toilet break, phone call or the panel isn't for them and that is okay. Not everyone is going to like your panel and do not let it shake you up.

If you do notice a high amount of yawns or sleeping people in your audience, though, shake it up. Just bang into a Q&A or some audience involvement. I always in my make up panels try and get everyone involved. Be it's trying some makeup, feeling a brush or getting them to raise their hand. It shows they are engaged and that you are interested them.

4) Script it: Having a sort of script or at least some talking bullet points in front of you will help you keep on track and make sure you hit those crucial parts you want to convey to your audience.

5) Practice your panel: I always do a test run at least 2/3 times before I host the panel. Usually, my audience is just my cats or occasionally an odd friend or two. It's a great way of knowing if you can keep it in the time limit or if you need to extend it.

If you have never hosted a panel before, get a few friends or family members to watch you through your practice. They can point out if it feels wrong, the pacing is off or if you are indeed rocking it.

6) Solo or group?: 
I've done both. If you are doing highly opinionated subject and you have people of either similar or polar opposite opinons on the subject then it can really work well. Especially with polar opposites as then, the audience will have someone they empathise with.

If you're going for more factual stuff then it is easier to go solo because you won't need to rely on someone to balance the argument in an easier way.

It is a case of preference. I've found in my personal experience I prefer solo depending on the subjects and I prefer groups based on who I am on the panel with. I would say as personal experience if working in a group, make sure you guys are on the same page and give everyone a chance to have their moment.

7) Work through the nerves: If you need some dutch courage then it's fine. If you need your best friend, mum or partner to sit in front of you to focus on then that is also fine. If you panic then takes a deep breath, find a wall, a face or a feature to focus on.

First time round, if you have never presented you will probably find yourself nervous. Take a drink of water or if you need the dutch courage then take 1 small drink with you. Avoid caffeine as this will make the jitters worse and this includes 6 hours before you do the panel.

If you end up doing more than a couple of panels the nerves will ease off and you won't have that panic. Just don't forget to breath and if you think nerves will get the better of you add a video in if possible, sit behind a table/stand. Just make sure you are comfortable.

8) Laughter is key: If you can get your audience laughing then you are onto a winner. I always am myself, I am clumsy and I will make a joke of it. If I drop a pen or knock something over and I want to carry the audience to laugh with me rather than at me. If you can't laugh at yourself, how will others?

Throw in a funny video or picture if you struggle to think of jokes. I know I did this. One time making a powerpoint to show in front of a class, I just made a picture zoom in and out of David Bowie's crotch from the movie labyrinth.

I also try and crack jokes and it is hit and miss if they work or not but the majority of the time, I think I've got the jokes in alright. Or if they epically fail I do the Eddie Izzard type sketch of writing on my hand (if not in person, I'm doing this mentally)

9) Q&A: Always leave room 10 minutes at the end your panel for a Q&A. If you run over or having issues blocking that think of a space right after your panel where you can go meet the attendees so that can ask you questions.

10) Most important tip: Just be you. Nothing worse than sitting through a panel of someone acting like a robot, putting on a fake accent or trying to throw in buzz words that don't fit in with you.

From day one of my panels, I'm very honest and stick true myself. I make a joke about myself being from Essex that if I forget it something then it's due to that. I talk to an audience how I would to one of my friends if I was teaching them something. I find I get really good engagement, reviews and repeated attendees by doing this.

I hope this helps you and hope it's sparked some awesome ideas for a panel in the future. If you are less interested in throwing a panel together but would like help at an event then my other blog 10 tips about helping at a convention

My next blog in this series will be on questions you guys ask me about cosplay. So ask away :)

That's enough of that for today.

Chevi X

No comments:

Post a Comment